Thursday 22 October 2009

Tough taper

With only 5 short runs and 10 days to go before the big day, I should be tapertastic. Instead, I'm feeling unfit, sluggish and heavy-legged. Admittedly my two runs this week so far have been a 5-mile hill interval session (on a taper! - seriously, this training programme is strict!) and an early morning recovery run. Neither of these are my favourite sessions but even by my low standards, I felt totally unprepared.

During the hill intervals, my 'fast' runs were little more than a jog, and after about a third of the session I felt like I was getting flu. I persisted, and am glad I did because the 'flu' was miraculously cured the minute I got home!

Beloved tells me it's quite normal to feel heavy-legged at this stage of a taper, but I still can't help wishing the next week and a half away - I just want to run the race now. I have had enough of training, enough of tapering, enough of chafing, enough of blisters, enough of emergency toilet stops.

Bring on the marathon, not the wall!

LON

No comments:

Post a Comment