Saturday 24 October 2009

The drugs do work

With one week to go, I've done my last 'long' run in training - although at this stage 10 miles doesn't even seem that bad anymore.

It certainly didn't seem that bad for the last 4 miles anyway, as today I experimented with a caffeine energy gel. I've been considering taking one of these for the final stretch next Sunday, but obviously needed to check that it didn't produce any ill effects.
Wow, those things are good. Before I knew it, I was at the crest of a hill and I hadn't even noticed I was running up a gradient. Maybe it was the rain fogging my glasses or maybe it was the caffeine, but either way, I think it might be worth safety pinning one of these to my race kit next week. I just don't know when I might need the extra 'push', although I can definitely have a guess...

So I've got the energy boost sorted out. I've also been doing some prep for the inevitable pain - I went for a bikini wax yesterday. I figure all I need to do it recall that agony at various tough moments through the marathon and it should bring everything into sharp focus!

LON

No comments:

Post a Comment