Thursday 1 October 2009

Glutton for punishment

I'd like to say that I've ticked off 17 miles from this week's target of 40 but I suspect it may be 18. Or more.

My 7 mile interval session on Tuesday worked out really well - instead of doing very rigid intervals, I did 5 miles of fartlek. Apart from the fact it has the most brilliant phnar phnar name (I think it's Swedish for 'run like Pheobe in that episode of Friends), it's an incredibly liberating way to pretend you're doing intervals. Basically you just run as fast as you can for particular distance eg 25 seconds, as far as the next lamppost, up to that tree etc then you can slow down and recover, then set off again when you're ready. I do think I look a bit stupid on the fast bits - I am definitely built for comfort, not for speed - but then I do actually quite enjoy them. You can pretend you're a fast runner for a brief fleeting moment, while sniggering at the fart joke at the same time.

This morning I was supposed to do 10 miles, steady, but I ended up changing my route halfway round (thanks to Harrow council digging up the pavement I usually run on) and this seemed to be a lot longer than I'd planned for. It also meant it took a lot longer than I planned for, which meant me having to try and sprint the last mile in order to be in work on time. I am now officially pooped. Must try harder at the map reading next time...

I wonder if I can do one less mile tomorrow morning, to compensate?

LON

No comments:

Post a Comment