Thursday 29 October 2009

Autumn in New York, why does it seem so exciting?

The last few days have just been a blur of packing and weather forecast checking but I'm finally in New York and on the last leg of the marathon journey.

The journey over was nervewracking for more than one reason. The tailwind was very strong which made the flight a lot shorter than normal but also made it extremely turbulent for most of the journey. The last half an hour was particularly bumpy, and there were a few moments where we were just a little bit too close to Long Island Sound for my liking, but in the end we landed smoothly, with a fantastic view of Manhattan (or the city centre, as the idiot woman in front of me called it).

The flight was made even more tense by the man sat next to me - with a cold. Germ alert, people! I am now crossing everything that he hasn't shared it with me before Sunday, as I think I would be heartbroken if anything got in the way of me running the marathon now.

I've been here less than 24 hours and I'm already feeling refreshed. I had a lovely evening out last night, eating good food in good company, and managed to get a full night of jetlag-beating sleep.
Most importantly, I've already been out for my first training run this side of the Atlantic, and loved it.

Running round Red Hook was a pleasure - how often do you get to see the Queen Mary 2 in the few 500 yards of your training run? Two people said 'hello', one man told me to 'have a nice day'- no abuse, no attempts to trip me up, just good vibes. I just can't wait until Sunday now, if this is what a neighbourhood New York run is like!

The change of scenery has shaken off the inertia and the boredom and I'm raring to go. Tonight NY and I are off to get our bibs for Sunday and pick up some freebies, and I want to pick up a couple of Clif bars for Sunday's pre-race breakfast. In the meantime, I'm going to spend the day exploring Brooklyn and making the most of being here while my leg muscles can bear it.

I heart NY!

LON

No comments:

Post a Comment