Friday 4 September 2009

What could possibly go wrong?

I'm stacking the extra mileage up this week, with only my 14 mile run left for the weekend. Wednesday's 6 miles was a milestone, in that it's the first time I've got a proper soaking during my training. As we are now in autumn, I'm assuming I'm going to get a few more dunkings between now and the race but I don't really have too much choice - no fair weather running allowed when you're training for a marathon.

I'm getting prepared for the weather though - I've bought an extra pair of trainers. Yes, I like running in my new Salvations so much, I've bought another pair while they're still in the sale (unlike Mr Remington, I don't have enough money to buy the company :( ). This should mean that if I get really wet on one run, I don't have to go out in wet trainers the next day - I've learnt this the hard way, it's not pleasant, and I'm just relieved I missed out on the showers on my second 6-miler yesterday.

What I'm not prepared for is the germs. Everyone around seems to have a cold or a cough right now. While it's easy to blame the weather, I'm now in a state of high alert. A cold now could totally screw up my chances for the Great North Run, and a really bad one could mean I have to defer. I will be gutted if I have to defer so am crossing everything that I get through the next two weeks without germs. I'll try to work from home as much as possible, and I've heard sticking vaseline up your nose works well too. And I'll keep washing my hands religiously.

I've also signed up for one more race before the marathon, this time a local 10k at the end of September. It's a final test of speed as well as a bit more experience of race day nerves. As long as the lurgy doesn't get me, I've definitely got my plan together for the rest of my training. I'm just not sure about the contingency...

LON

No comments:

Post a Comment