Sunday 13 September 2009

And when they were up, they were up. And when they were down, they were down

I'm glad to see the back of week 8. It's not gone to plan.

When you tell people you're doing a marathon, they are either totally unimpressed (let's face it, lots of people do it, so it's no biggie) or else they respond as if you are taking on some kind of insane physical challenge that no-one, including you, could possibly survive. But the physical part of running is only half of it - I've learnt this week is that the hard bit is the mental challenge. That doesn't just apply to the race itself but the training too.

I realise I've had it easy - my training programme has been going great, the weather has been good to me, I've been able to make it for runs before and after work with little problem, and I've stayed injury-free. But now I've come down with some sort of cough/cold, and I've needed to stay off the roads and just rest, I've gone into a mild panic.

I was supposed to do my 16 mile run this weekend, but cough and cold are not the best preparation for the longest run you've ever done in your life and I've agreed to stay home and adjust my programme. My first panic was that I was getting the Piggy Flu and would not be well enough to run in next Sunday's Great North Run, but I soon realised that it wasn't that serious. Now I'm worried what the hiccup in my training might do to my overall fitness and ability to complete the marathon in the way I would like. And I'm finding the worry - and enforced inactivity - difficult to deal with. It's sad but true, but I've got used to the weekend routine and the long run. I'm lost without it.

But, as I said, it's a mental challenge as much as a physical challenge and I've got to stay positive. I'm going to treat this as a practice 'wall' and how I get through this wall will be good training for if I hit a low mid-marathon.

So instead of being cavalier and attempting 16 miles, I did a  very slow 6 miles today. I feel ok, no coughing or breathing problems, so as long as I take it easy this week I'll be fine for next Sunday, although I may not get to do it as fast as I would like. But who knows, maybe the 'rest week' will help my raceday performance in the end. And as for the Five Boroughs  - well, what's the rush? The medal will be there waiting for me, whatever time I finish.

LON

No comments:

Post a Comment