Sunday 27 September 2009

Never too hot to heckle but sometimes too tired to talk

I've just finished my 16 mile run - my longest run ever. And it feels like it. Every bone, sinew and muscle south of my waist is crying right now. No amount of ice packs and recovery drinks are going to stop me from hurting tomorrow. I even have a blister. I haven't had a blister for a year! - I think my feet are trying to tell me something.

The hardest part is the boredom. That is the longest period of time I've ever spent running and perhaps I need to take a more unfamiliar route for my long runs, just to keep the interest going. The most excitement I had was when a fly flew up my right nostril at 8 miles - it took me nearly half a mile to get it out so I could breathe again. God, running makes you do disgusting things.
I'm also bored of being heckled now. These people don't even come up with anything remotely witty or original. I say, if you can't think of something funny to say, keep your car window and your mouth shut.

At least the weather was kind - today has been a warm, sunny, perfect running Sunday. I've even got a tanline where my shorts stop. 

I suspect that the weather might be about to change, though. I've checked my training programme and the coming week is the marathon week in a marathon training programme. The shortest run this week is 7 miles (and that's intervals!) with more than 40 miles over the week, culminating in 18 miles next Sunday. It's going to test all my planning and logistical skills to fit these totals in round a full time job, and I think that this amount of mileage is definitely tempting weather fate - I'm due a soaking and I just have to hope it won't be on the 18 miler next week!

LON

No comments:

Post a Comment