Wednesday 9 September 2009

Halfway measures

This morning's run marked the halfway point in my marathon training programme. Although it's another milestone achieved, I don't feel like celebrating at all.

Maybe it's the fact I feel like I'm getting the lurgy, maybe it's the fact I had a couple of drinks and not enough to eat last night, maybe I'm just bored of running familiar routes. But I don't feel particularly good about the progress so far.

This morning's run was full of heckles, plus a near miss when I fell off a kerb just at the end of mile 3. Luckily I managed to save myself and not twist any ankles but it gave me a real shake-up. I think I'm just overtired and events outside of training are catching up on me, what with my face-ache, sore throat and a general lack of sleep. My travel schedule for work over the next couple of weeks is going to make it very complicated to fit the runs in, as they get longer and require more time. So I foresee lots of very early starts just to rack up the miles, and even less sleep than I'm getting now. I'm going to force myself to take it very easy this weekend and conserve some energy for those final 7 weeks, and of course, the GNR.

If I can't shake the week 8 blues, I just need to make sure I don't carry them over to week 9 and the Great North Run itself.

LON

No comments:

Post a Comment