Wednesday 30 May 2012

Limping back to full fitness

It's now been 38 days since I ran the London Marathon. In that time, I've rode plenty of virtual miles across landscapes of the USA. I have cross-trained, strength-trained and stretched muscles I never knew I had (which might have been the problem in the first place).  But I've run very few miles. A stiff 3 miles one day, an agonising 4 miles the next. Not to mention the added stress and worry of losing out all that running fitness I'd built up since Christmas.

Physiotherapy gave me pointers on changing stride, and that seems to help. The only problem is I have to concentrate on my stride, which is actually more difficult to adapt to than the stride itself. I'm used to running my miles in a daydream, not counting my steps. But if it pays off, it'll be worth it.

Despite the glorious weather, I did as I was told on Saturday and went to the gym for my run, rather than risk the lumps and bumps of pavements and paths. I managed 4.5 slow but totally pain-free miles on the treadmill, which was positive. But I can't run the New York marathon on a treadmill.

So I've tested my new stride out in the real world a couple of times. Three very easy pain-free miles on Monday, but 6 miles today. The longest I've run since the London Marathon. The fastest I've run since the London Marathon.

I couldn't say it was pain-free. The right calf still feels very stiff, and at two points an burning pain went through the right knee, but it was fleeting both times and seemed to be more a reminder that I wasn't concentrating on my stride rather than a pain in itself.

But I managed to run a decent pace - 6 miles in 1:01, which I'll take after injury. The pain was not longlasting and I felt fit and strong at the end of it. Maybe I am on the road to recovery after all.

I know I need to get a few more miles under the belt, both on the road and on the treadmill, before I can feel fully confident again but it's reassuring to know I've still got the fitness to come back to. I just need to keep looking after that right leg and practising my new steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment