Thursday 7 June 2012

Anti gravity running

It's June and that means Juneathon. Luckily, my marathon-induced injury is rehabilitating enough to allow me out on the roads again, albeit not as frequently as I would like. I'm still mixing in treadmills and cross-training, as well as hours of stretching and conditioning. But I've been out there everyday, even for a little mile here or there.

My Juneathon high from the first week was definitely 9 miles on Saturday. The longest I've run since the London marathon, and it felt great to be out there again. I even managed some race pace miles in there, which was great for the confidence. While the calf and the knee weren't perfect, they were happy enough for me to decide to go through with the St Albans half marathon on Sunday. Hopefully the hills won't aggravate things too much.

As part of the long, slow process to figuring out why everything started hurting all of a sudden, I went on an anti gravity treadmill today at the physio.  (http://www.alter-g.com/)
I got to wear a strange sort of 'skort' which looked like a witch's hat with a giant zip on it. Then I zipped myself into a plastic-covered treadmill, which weighs you then inflates to reduce the impact of your body weight as you run on the treadmill. Your lower body is totally encased in the inflated 'bubble' as you run. This allowed my physio to see where I was going wrong on my errant right side, and advise me on how I can reduce the impact while running out there on the roads.

It was quite techie, and quite cool, and most importantly quite a confidence booster for my fitness. However, it does make you look totally ridiculous so I'm just glad no one took any photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment