Wednesday 9 May 2012

Running hiatus

My enforced break from running continues. Another physio session today, and another pummelling, but apparently I've made great progress in the ITB, my hip & my glutes. However, the advice is that a few more days off running and sticking with the lower impact cross training will pay dividends. So I continue to visit the gym, and leave my running shoes at home.

I still miss running - as an activity, static cycling or crosstrainers are just not as exciting. They don't give you the opportunity to check out loads of interesting people, they don't give you the chance to see which houses have gone up for sale down your road, and they certainly don't give you any fresh air. On the upside, I can listen to music or podcasts (which I don't like to do when I'm running on the road - I like to have my hearing and my wits about me). And the virtual cycle tool is quite cool, as you cycle through random bits of the USA. This has the advantage of keeping you distracted while planning your next road trip holiday. It's pretty much convinced me to enter the Chicago Marathon in 2013 as that city looks very nice for running.

It's all about self-control now. At least now I've been given a schedule to start again from. Short-term deprivation should mean less downtime in the longer term. It would be easy to head out there tonight and test the right leg out. But I've got to resist.  And if I can make my Creme Egg stash last until May, I can keep my hand out of the running biscuit tin for a little bit longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment