Wednesday 21 March 2012

Mopeds and missing marathon training in Marrakech

I always knew I had to go to Marrakech for a weekend right in the middle of my marathon training. Booked months in advance, I had scheduled around it. I'd make sure that I wouldn't miss out on the long run I was supposed to do that weekend. What I hadn't planned for was that the two weekends before that would also be beset by setbacks, first a bad fall, and second flu. So I was already playing catch-up on my training, missing two long runs.
I like to run in new or different places - hence my choice of NYC and Berlin marathons in the past. Running somewhere different refreshes you mentally and physically. Everywhere I travel, for work or pleasure, I take my kit. Friends I visit know I'll be getting up early to take in their local streets. But somehow I knew that Marrakech wasn't going to be an option. I decided not to even bother taking running stuff, and just to make sure I got a long run in either side of the weekend.

I was right to assume that I wouldn't get the chance to run in Marrakech. The weekend was a packed programme of eating, drinking, excursions in extremely dilapidated taxis and more drinking. Celebrating 40th birthdays is simply not condusive to marathon training.


Besides, it was virtually impossible to walk in the Medina, let alone run. Any run would have been retitled 'escape the moped riding down the narrow alley', while shouting 'j'ai déjà mangé' at people trying to coax you into their restaurants. I'd also feel fairly disrespectful running in short shorts and top in that city, where women tend to cover up. I saw only one runner all weekend, and that was a guy out by the airport. Although I did see a large group of French cyclists at one point - I suspect they might still be trying to cross the first road they came to.

So I'm glad I pushed myself to run 20 miles last week before my trip, and happy that I was able to relax and enjoy Marrakech for what it is, without looking for a place to run.  Maybe I'll go back there one day for a running excursion.  If I can get across the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment