Monday 12 March 2012

I'm not panicking yet, but...

I'm starting to feel overwhelmed by training setbacks at the moment.

My first attempt at a 20 mile run ended in a busted elbow, stiff & swollen knees and some fairly spectacular bruising. I managed to get back out running after three days, plenty of ibuprofen and some fairly creative use of frozen peas.

I decided to continue my training programme where I left off, not going back to the 20 miler but heading on with training as if it were all on track. This mean going into a low mileage week, which I thought it would give my sore knee a chance to recover fully.

This has turned out to be a big mistake, physically and psychologically. After a few short runs last week, I headed out on Saturday morning for a 6 mile run at race pace. I had woken up with a sore throat, but nothing major. Just a quarter of a mile in, I knew I didn't feel right. I couldn't breath properly, labouring at even a snail's pace. So I nixed the idea of a paced run, and just crawled slowly round for a couple of miles before calling it a day and heading home. By Saturday evening, my bones ached and my temperature was positively tropical.

So my 12 mile run on Sunday was cancelled, and I now have a wonderfully wheezy chest to go with the aches and the sore throat. I'm resting, just as I know I should, but the physical layoff is playing havoc with my race confidence.

What if I don't get to do a 20 miler? My next one is scheduled for Thursday, as I can't run Friday-Sunday as I am in Marrakech for a 40th birthday party, but what if my chest isn't clear by then. I'll be 5 weeks away from a marathon and won't have run further than 17 miles.

What if I have yet another setback? What if they are like London buses and come in threes? I am vaguely panicking about the whole marathon training plan - the last two weeks have been a disaster for fitness and confidence.

And why is it always such beautiful weather when I am laid off running? It's like the weather gods love to rub it in!

I know I need to stop panicking. I know that if the worst comes to the worst, I can head out for a 20 mile run next Monday after work. I know I can chuck the training plan out and focus on getting the long runs done, even in the rain. I know that no marathon training plan is without a setback. But that doesn't stop me being frustrated at those setbacks, as every single issue I face just adds minutes to my time and takes me away from a PB.

I just have to keep telling myself, I know that I can run a marathon. See, look, photographic evidence...

No comments:

Post a Comment