Saturday 29 January 2011

The importance of lower extremities and nerve endings

The breaking in period for my new running shoes may need to be extended, as I don't think they are getting a fair test. A long running niggle in my left big toe has literally come to a head this week. I have paronychia, a nasty nail infection that has left me with a large big red throbbing toe and a lovely abscess under the nail. (I'll spare you photographic evidence). I'm therefore assuming that the intense throbbing pain while I run can be attributed solely to the infection and not my shiny white new shoes!

While Beloved questioned the wisdom of running with a 'double' toe this morning, the ache in my foot was nothing compared to the ache in my head on this morning's run. I had a very well behaved Friday evening, with just one beer, and healthy high carb meal. On top of that I had a nice long uninterrupted sleep. And yet still I woke up with a pounding headache.

I don't get a lot of headaches - which might explain why I naively took to the streets without taking a painkiller first. If there is anything more uncomfortable than running with a headache, I've yet to experience it. It's even worse than running with blisters.

Basically I did 4 miles with a large jelly inside my brain. This jelly was full of outward-facing needles that, with every step, bounced painfully in a different direction inside my head. I have never felt so miserable over so short a distance. Although admittedly it did distract me from the searing pain in my toe. So not all bad.

I'm now following a course of antibiotics to try and get rid of the infection before it really has an impact on my training plan. It seems hard to believe a little yellow tablet is going to get rid of the giant yellow moon under my toenail but I live in hope. I've stocked up on the headache tablets and have learned a hard lesson.

Back out tomorrow hopefully for 8 miles but will keep to circuit route just in case the toe needs to bail out early. In the meantime, I'm pinning all my hopes on science producing a very fast recovery from toe rot!

LON

No comments:

Post a Comment