Wednesday 22 July 2009

hydration

another day, another easy run. I feel like I'm being lulled into a false sense of security by my training plan, as that was yet another day of running slightly ess than normal. Still, I mean to enjoy it while it lasts because next week start to step it up a bit.

I worked from home today so did my run at lunchtime. As today is the first day of the school holidays, most of the run involved dodging large groups of loitering teenagers looking bored. On the plus side, none of them heckled me, which is a definite first!

I'm starting to think strategically about how I'm going to get through the next 15 weeks in terms of food and drink. I'm conscious that I probably don't drink enough water, particularly now I'm training quite hard. I do want to avoid becoming obsessed with the colour of my own wee, like a lot of runners, but I do have to be sensible too.

So I've decided to start carrying around a sports bottle of water during the working week. I can refill it during the day, but stick it through the dishwasher at night. That way I don't get lots of germs from reusing a plastic bottle, and save the planet at the same time.

As the weeks go on and the runs get longer, I realise I need to start experimenting with drinking while out on runs, and not just water but sports drinks too. This is going to be a big change for me, as the only time I've ever had sports drinks is during the two half marathons I've run, and even then just a quick sip. And I always find it very difficult to take on fluid during a run - it leaves me with an uncomfortable feeling in my stomach, and usually slows me down for a couple of miles.

But 26.2 miles is just too long to go without taking on some fluid and fuel, so I'm going to have to start practising eating and drinking soon.

In the meantime, I'm sticking with 2 Jaffa Cakes just before I leave the house, which I read in a magazine - a great excuse to eat them! All I need now is someone to recommend ice-cream and I'm sorted!

LON

No comments:

Post a Comment