Monday 27 July 2009

A bad start to week 2

I neglected my training diary for the latter part of week 1, mainly because I was far too busy out celebrating birthdays and enjoying the sunshine to write up my runs. But I promise I did do the training. Honest!

Just to keep any readers posted, my long run on Sunday could be summed up as:
Miles: 6. Heckles:1 Tummy trouble:1

Yep, that does say tummy trouble. Basically I seem to be entering week 2 with a mild stomach upset. By upset, I mean my stomach gets very upset if I try running over 4 miles, or at any sort of speed.
On the long run yesterday it wasn't so much of a problem apart from having to run the last mile very fast just to avoid 'doing a Paula'. Today, though, my upset stomach really threw a tantrum.

Today was my first interval session and I failed miserably. The first mile jog was fine, and I set off on my first fast interval - 1 mile in and my stomach was cramping, so I started my recovery jog early and hoped to jog it off in time to start a new interval.

No such luck. The second interval was worse - I probably didn't even get half a mile without starting to cramp again. But just to make it even more fun, I got a stitch as well. After 4 minutes I had to stop. I never have to stop, I was devastated. All I can think is, if I can't do intervals, then I'm never going to get faster.

But getting your breath back is a great way to focus and I was able to start jogging again within a minute. Another 5 minutes jogging and I tried a 3rd interval.

Four minutes later, I've got stitches everywhere, sides, shoulders, the works. My belly feels like I've swallowed a concrete football. I'm forced to give up and jog the remainder of the mileage.

In short, today's run was
Miles 5: Heckles: 0 Tummy trouble: 3

By the time I got home, I was in a foul mood. I felt physically horrible, which was bad. But, even worse, I felt like I'd failed on my first 'complicated' run.

Now I've been showered and fed, I feel a bit better. Ok, not a perfect start to the week, but I've not hurt myself and by the next interval run (in week 3) I should have got rid of whatever little parasite is making my stomach react badly to exercise. Everybody has a bad run once in a while

I am staying positive - 4 miles easy tomorrow morning, and I really hope it is easy.

LON

No comments:

Post a Comment