Monday 9 January 2012

Watching me, watching you

Well, that's week 1 of marathon training under my belt. All runs completed as per training schedule, and only one soaking. A good week.

I loved my first long run yesterday. There is something about running 10 miles that I love - it is just a perfect distance. Far enough to make it interesting, not long enough to wear you out totally. I really need about 5 miles just to get going, so 10 miles gives me time to really stretch myself. Of course, it's going to be just a midweek distance soon, as the long runs creep up to 20 miles. But I still won't mind.

Yesterday's run also gave me the opportunity to pursue one of my favourite urban running pursuits - nosiness. While a run off road or along beautiful countryside roads gives you fresh air and inspiring views, running around West London gives you a chance to muse on the eccentricities of your fellow man.

I planned yesterday's route to investigate a house in Isleworth that has interested me for ages. Normally I only drive along this route, but if the traffic lights are red, I frequently get a glimpse of small figures in a front porch along the main road. At Christmas, these figures all sported Santa hats. The addition of the red caps to something that looked suspiciously like a replica Charlie Chaplin made the decision for me - I had to see these figures close up.

Off I ran to Isleworth, taking in the lovely Syon Park and the river Thames on the way. I headed back via the main road, so I could have a close up look at the figures. As suspected, one was definitely a mini Charlie Chaplin. Another is a little old lady and the third a butler in a red jacket. All of them the size of 6 year old boy. All of them waiting creepily in the porch to welcome visitors. Santa hats are packed away for the next 11 months, of course, but that doesn't make them any less weird for a front porch!

So why not get out running and indulge your inner curtain twitcher!

No comments:

Post a Comment