Sunday 15 January 2012

This is a low

Week 2 of marathon training is over with, and what a week that was. Every single mile was an ordeal, my body felt sluggish and all my times were slow ones. Thankfully, my head is still in the game, so I was able to run my miles and keep the training on track. But while the spirit was willing, the flesh was definitely weak.

To make matters worse, I've ended the week with a bloody toe, significant chafing in some seriously antisocial areas and the overwhelming feeling that humankind is not what it used to be.

While I may have had some comedy in the shape of the 'crazy left arm lady' in the park the other day, today was a real disappointment. It was cold, but it was bright, and I really don't mind running in the cold if it's dry, so I headed out quite enthusiastically. The first couple of miles were fine, but then I had to make a brief toilet stop (somewhat predictable given the supersize coffee I had about an hour before heading out - schoolboy error). I chose to do this at Watermans Centre in Brentford as I was on a riverside run. Watermans is a lovely arts centre, which I am a big fan of. But its clientele this morning left a lot to be desired. Arts Centres need to make money, so Watermans host a Christian church group meeting on a Sunday morning. Fine - it's a free country. But I think individuals would be much more Christian if they didn't a) allow their children to deliberately block toilets and b) encouraged their children to wash their hands after using the loo.

Ok, you think, so modern manners are on the decrease - we all know that. True, and I quickly forgot to be angry as the sun was out in force as I headed south over Kew bridge towards the towpath to Richmond. This was a regular route for me last summer but it's been a good 3 months since I've been down there. And I'd forgotten how selfish everyone is on that towpath. It's not even every man for himself, it's 'deliberately make life difficult for other path users'.

Towpath users basically fall into the following categories
1 Runners
2 Cyclists
3 Families out for a walk
4 Dog walkers
5 'Ramblers'

It's safe to say these are numbered according to the level of consideration they can give to others. Runners seem to shut themselves into protective mode and keep out of everyone's way as far as possible. Cyclists for the most part are quite good too - although you get the odd person who can't actually control the bike or who doesn't feel the need to let you know they are behind you, I've noticed that 95% of them are quite considerate about communicating with other. Families out for a walk are the best at responding to an 'excuse me' and letting you pass (if you're passing from behind) or giving way to let you pass (if they can see you approaching).

Dog walkers are split into two groups - as ever. Responsible pet owners considerate of fellow path users and selfish b***ards who seem to think they and their dog should be allowed to do exactly what they like. I love dogs, I really do, and it breaks my heart that one day one of those poor animals will be deemed 'dangerous' and put down, all because they can't really behave properly off the leash in a confined space (which is what a towpath is, people - fall one way and you're right in the Thames!). I have a message for this second group. Ignoring your dog when it jumps up at small children, runners or basically anyone coming its way is really bad behaviour. And when a small child is barrelled right into the river, his/her parent complains and your dog gets a lethal injection - well, you only have yourself to blame.

'Ramblers' are the worst. Groups of well-heeled middle-aged, middle-class men and women who firmly believe that they should be able to walk 3, 4, 5, even 6 abreast and not give way to anyone else - ever. Cyclists, runners, dog walkers, families coming their way - you can almost see them thinking 'well, you can all just go jump in the river before I will move 3 inches to the right or left to allow you to pass'. And this is just when they can see you approaching! When you are passing from behind you virtually have to thump them on the back to even get their attention. After nearly ending up in water twice today because of these people, I was angry. And running when angry is a bad idea.

There was some light relief in Old Deer Park. I saw two Sunday footballers guilty of missing absolute sitters in their matches. The second one was such a bad miss I actually laughed out loud as I ran past. I did feel a bit guilty laughing, especially as he was knelt on the grass with his head in his hands, but perhaps it will teach him to just tap it into the open goal next time instead of trying to do a flashy cross-the-face of goal chip.

So I enter week 3 with the hope of better legs, better times, better ball control and better road users. Come on, people, let's be nice to each other. It's the only way to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment