Thursday 21 January 2010

nowhere to run to, baby

The first weeks of half-marathon training are proving testing.

It's not ideal that my job has gone totally bonkers in terms of workload all of a sudden, and I'm looking forward to the Manhattan half now just in the sense that it gets me a few days' annual leave!

The weather doesn't help. Cold, fine, torrential rain= nightmare. Running any sort of distance means wet feet and, for me at least, the inability to get warm again for about 24 hours

The biggest test though is the dark. Last week's Rocky-style runs through Central London worked ok, mainly because Central London is garishly lit. My local area is pitch black in the morning, pitch black in the evening, with only the occasional street light. It's starting to dawn on me how many people, of both sexes, wear head to foot black clothing. I've run into at least two pedestrians who've just sneaked up on me - all the running wisdom is about making yourself visible running at night but really it's everyone else I need to worry about. They're all dressed like the Milk Tray man.

Midweek runs are done, so I'm looking forward to some runs in broad daylight this weekend. It's time to go long again, and start to rack up some weekly mileage. It might also help me relax away from the frenzy of work, or at least give me some problem-solving time.

LON

No comments:

Post a Comment