Sunday 24 January 2010

Cold discomfort

January in London is proving to be unremittingly grey. The only colour on my weekend morning runs are the large pools of fresh sick that Friday and Saturday nights' drinkers have deposited around my running routes.

Perhaps they should take up running too - it really concentrates the mind as to how much alcohol you can consume in a night when you know you have to get up and run 6 miles in the morning.

On the plus side, at least it's not snowing or raining, so I'll have to live with the grey colour scheme for now.

Unfortunately, with the grey comes the cold. Despite running for over an hour, in long tights, the lower half of my body seems unable to warm up. The rest of my body is fine but the tops of my legs and my bum are still red with cold when I finish. I'm going to have to try running with a pair of shorts on top of the tights because I'm sure I'm not supposed to be that cold. Or maybe I should change my running style to make those parts of the body work more!

The cold also has one additional side effect for me - coughing. I think the medical term is 'exercise-induced asthma' - I have read about it on several forums and in running magazines and apparently it's quite common in the cold weather, as your lungs don't warm up as quickly as the rest of you. It doesn't happen while I run, only when I finish.  I sound like an asthmatic with a 40 a day habit.

It's pretty hard to convince any audience that exercise is good to you when you have a two hour coughing fit after you finish running. But it is good for me, honest. Chapped skin and lung strain are what it's all about...

LON

No comments:

Post a Comment