Wednesday 19 August 2009

time to leave for summer non-training camp

I've been doing a lot of running in the last 24 hours, trying to stock up on the miles and get a head start before I head off on a week's holiday to Spain. I'm packing the trainers and running kit, but I have no intention of setting myself up for a massive fall, or fail, by telling myself I'll do a long run while I'm over there - 32 degree heat and a small town environment that doesn't look favourably on women running round on their own in lycra does not lend itself to a 10 miler. So I did my interval training last night, and my 10 miles this morning before work.

I did notice that this morning's run was the first long run I've ever done where I didn't want to have a lie down immediately afterwards. Could it be my body is finally adapting to this crazy endurance test I'm putting it through? Or could it be psychological, because lil 'ole body knew it had to go out to a meeting and didn't have time for a lie down?

I will run while I'm away, of course. I can't let my legs have a break for 7 days, I'd lose too much fitness. But now I only have to do a couple of steady or slow 4 miles, which is much more manageable and leaves me plenty of free time to rest the legs in the sunshine with a beer or two. It's all carb loading, really.

I'm a bit worried about NY though - a brilliant time in only her third half marathon on Sunday, shaving another 8 minutes off her previous PB, in 94 degree heat, even managing to dance to YMCA along the way. But NY seems to be doubting her ability to do twice the distance and I just want to remind her that she's got a lot more training to do yet, a lot more miles to put in and as long as we put the preparation in, all will be well. As the t-shirt in the Austin running shop did read, Mile 23 is my bitch...repeat after me, ad infinitum

until next week,

LON

No comments:

Post a Comment