Thursday 13 August 2009

mind over matter and midges

This week's running has been going so well, I've not had the chance to tell you about it. After last weekend's collywobbles, I seem to be properly back on track. I even managed to pull off an interval training session last night without wheezing.

I'm undecided on the reason for my belated 'success' with intervals. It could be that the intervals were shorter - 800m is probably about as far as I can go full pelt without respiratory collapse. It could be that I'd eaten enough - although eating curry for lunch may not seem like the ideal preparation for effort through exercise, it didn't seem to have any adverse effects last night. It could be the extra protein I took on while running, by eating several midges en route. Or it could be mind over matter.

I read an article last week in a cycling magazine about interval training. I know cycling isn't quite the same as running (cyclists get to sit down for most of their workout, for a start) but the training concept for intervals does seem similar.
The point behind the article was that interval training, and the exertions it requires, trains your brain to think that it can cope with this extra effort.

I thought this was an interesting concept. It's just an embellishment of positive thinking really, and who knows, perhaps I have been sending a mixed message to my brain by trying to prove to it that physically it can handle bursts of exertion while at the same time telling it that it's impossible.

When I set off last night, I resolved to do the intervals and, more importantly, think I could do them. This involved trying to think of lots of other things while running the 800m bursts (remembering to breathe being top of the list) but the distraction technique seemed to have worked. Now my brain thinks it is fit, who knows what else it can do?

The goal for this week is a sub 55 minute 10k at the weekend, which would be a PB. It's my first test in this training programme and last night's run has made me look forward to it, instead of dreading it. I won't be repeating the pre-run curry (or hopefully the midge eating) so at worst, I can use it as a control for my mind over matter experiment.

As for the shoe crisis, I am persisting with my high heels, but still experiencing a twinge in the left calf. I have made a mental note to buy some 'sensible' shoes at the weekend but I think might be the biggest test of mind over matter that I can set myself at any point in this training programme

LON

No comments:

Post a Comment