Monday 22 April 2013

London Marathon 2013

I set out to finally hit sub 4:15 at London yesterday. I’ve had a good training regime, everything has gone to plan and I’ve really had some quality sessions. A sports massage last week seemed to have given me new legs too, so I felt confident. The weather was warm, but that’s way I like it so I was pretty happy overall with conditions and raring to go. I was worried that my ITB would let me down again, but there was only one way to find out – start running!
My pacing was spot on for the first two thirds of the race. I kept reminding myself to be disciplined and control my pace, and it really worked. I felt good, I felt strong, and keeping to my targets gave me incredible confidence. At mile 14 I was looking good for a 4:10 finish, and I was happy.
But then at mile 15, it all went a bit wrong. I’d had a gel and some water somewhere between 13 and 14, and it did not sit right at all. I retched a couple of times, but managed to keep it down with some more water. Unfortunately, from that point on, I was racing with what felt like a massive Sunday roast sitting in my stomach. It alternated between a general dull feeling of nausea and a specific sharp pain underneath my race number. It was awful. But at least my legs didn’t hurt, eh!
My guts essentially turned the last 10 miles into a mental rather than physical feat of strength. My body was keeping going, slightly off goal pace unfortunately, but my mind was struggling. It couldn’t really deal with this new sensation, this unexpected problem, and it took all my mental focus to keep going. I toyed with stopping and puking, but there were no gaps in the spectators to do this and I was damned if I was going to spray some nice person who’d turned out to cheer us all on. So I just continued and hoped that somehow my stomach would absorb what it had inside. I suspect I had too much water on board, but was concerned about getting cramp, so continued to have the odd sip every 2-3 miles. The sunshine made it feel a lot warmer than it actually was but I was conscious that a lot of people around me were going down with cramp, and I didn’t need any more problems at that point!
At mile 24, I told myself I just had 2 miles to go until I could puke freely, and I tried to push on. My stomach pain ramped up massively, and I decided to save any surge for the last few metres instead. At 600m I pushed on again, but it wasn’t enough to get me there on time, and I hit a PB of 4:16:16 instead. I didn’t care at that point. A PB is a PB, and I didn’t puke on a stranger. All round, I think that was a win.

Split
Time Of Day
Time
Diff
min/km
km/h
5K
10:31:32
00:29:24
29:24
05:53
10.21
10K
11:01:18
00:59:10
29:46
05:58
10.08
15K
11:31:16
01:29:08
29:58
06:00
10.01
20K
12:01:25
01:59:17
30:09
06:02
9.95
HALF
12:07:53
02:05:45
06:28
05:55
10.17
25K
12:31:30
02:29:22
23:37
06:04
9.91
30K
13:02:16
03:00:08
30:46
06:10
9.75
35K
13:33:40
03:31:32
31:24
06:17
9.55
40K
14:04:36
04:02:28
30:56
06:12
9.70
Finish time
14:18:24
04:16:16
13:48
06:18
9.54

I’m not sure that London is the best course to aim for a time goal. It’s the most congested of the three Majors I’ve run – while it may be flatter than New York, at least you don’t have to zig zag your way through runners hitting the wall and walking in New York, because the streets are wider and there is more room for walkers to get out of the way. Berlin is also a pretty wide course. Admittedly, I don’t really remember many people walking in New York or Berlin – for me, it’s much more a feature of London than the other two cities.
And then there are those bloody bottles. Discarded water and Lucozade Sport everywhere, and it just becomes an obstacle course. I had to make a couple of jumps to hurdle over a speeding bottle and, at mile 24, one came at me from behind so I landed on it and twisted my left ankle. It wasn’t serious enough to stop me, but it hurt like hell at a point in the race where you really don’t need additional pain. Again, New York and Berlin both operate a plastic cup system, which is much safer for the runners. I appreciate this has logistical issues, but it’s something that really mars London as a race for me.
Yet London is brilliant in so many other ways. The support is immense. There isn’t really any point, except for the underpass in Canary Wharf and the tunnel at Blackfriars, where there is a gap in the cheering section. People even bring their sofa into the street to watch the race (I’ve seen these guys two years running now and it makes me smile each time). Cutty Sark and Tower Bridge are just walls of sound, which keeps you lifted for a while after.
Highlights of yesterday’s race were finishing (of course), seeing your loved ones and friends en route but also the support for others you can draw on. For me, it was at mile 13, where I saw a sign that featured a photo of Ryan Gosling, with the words ‘Kate, when you slow down, Ryan gets sad’. It made me laugh out loud at the time, when I was feeling strong, but then later on in the race when I started to struggle, I would tell myself that Ryan was getting sad so it would spur me on. I hope Ryan appreciates what he did for marathon runners yesterday.
I’m ultimately happy because since I turned 40 last August, I’ve PBed over 10k, 10 miles, half marathon and marathon distances. I can’t really grumble about that level of performance and I won’t. But I will get that sub 4:15 one day, I swear. 

4 comments:

  1. Great race recap and well done on a great race! I can imagine it was quite hot on the day and I suspect that was one of the causes of nausea. I have heard more than one person say they threw up and felt icky half way through :|

    In Paris they had cups as well instead of bottles. There were loads on the road - I don't get why people can't throw them in the bins, there were plenty - but at least they just crush under your feet and are not dangerous. Banana peels on wet cobble stones however - :|

    And - too funny about the Ryan Gosling thing :)

    And once again - well done!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - there were a few orange peels on the road in London, which were a bit slippy as well. I remember banana skins from Berlin a couple of years ago - mad!I suppose when people are finding it tough they don't think sensibly about their litter, but it is so frustrating

      Delete
  2. I agree about the congestion at parts - particularly at the start. I didn't realise you were feeling sick too - I had the same problem when taking in gels and water, despite having repeated what I did in training on race day.

    Well done though - that's a fantastic performance and PB! I really wish I'd seen that Ryan Gosling sign and the sofa - made me chuckle!

    If there are any future races you've got your eye on for a sub 4:15 let me know and it would be cool to run them together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It doesn't seem to matter how much you rehearse, it's all about what happens on the day. Onwards and upwards to our next PB!

    ReplyDelete