Monday 18 April 2011

Jealousy, panic and a waste of beautiful Spring weather

It's been a difficult week for me, on a personal and sporting level. The search for freelance work continues apace, and a vague depression is setting in at the lack of immediate income and the current inability to pay my mortgage after May.
I was also heavily distracted by legal stuff and nonsense re my redundancy claim, which sapped most of my energy last week. It's ironic that all this happens when you start spending huge periods of time in your own company - just when you need others to take your mind off things, you actually enter a period of your life where you don't get a lot of company. And I can't keep popping out to meet people for coffee or lunch, as this all eats into work time and income must be found.
Not helping my mood is the added problem of my right foot. Following last Sunday's fiasco, I'd stayed off the pavements to help ease the injury but of course, this prevents me from my regular stress release of a run. So it all builds up.

Yesterday was the London Marathon, and I was green with envy watching everyone experience the wonders and horrors of 26.2 miles. In typical British fashion, a mild sunny day was transformed in everyone's mind to a small heatwave, but I suppose given that most training has been done in the bleak British winter, it probably does class as the warmest running conditions most first-timers have experienced. Personally, I thought it was pretty near perfect weather yesterday, and I hope it actually helped more people than they realised. I will definitely attempt to get a place in the lottery next year, although I steer clear of running in a charity spot. If I get in that should guarantee some fairly foul weather for all those anti-sunshiners out there.

Inspired by the marathon, and feeling little or no pain in my foot, I headed off into the 'dreaded' sunshine for a run round the local 3 parks. I got to the first park, about a mile from home, and felt the foot go into spasm again. The pain was excruciating and I stopped to walk instead to the nearest park gate, trying to be sensible and not run until it stopped. After a couple of minutes walking, the pain completely disappeared so I set off at a jog again - and it immediately resumed 'agony' mode.
Slinking home at a slow walking pace, I realised that this was a biggie, and with a marathon to run later this year I had to be a grown up about it and stop running until it was sorted.

Some Google self help later, I've come up with two options for my foot. It's either a stress fracture or extensor tendonitis. Or something that has never come up on an internet forum before - I could be a ground breaker.
Despite my parlous finances, I'm biting the bullet and visiting a podiatrist in the morning. I haven't got the time to wait for an NHS consultation - it could be two months. So I'm paying £30 and hoping he can give me some relatively good news re diagnosis and prognosis.
Here's hoping Operation Siegesaule can get on track on time and that this isn't too serious. The thought of having a real injury is truly frightening and I don't think I can take any more blows right now, so here's hoping the gods of foot injuries are smiling on me

LON

No comments:

Post a Comment