Wednesday 10 February 2010

how the not-so-mighty are fallen

I've not made a good start to week 5 of training. My calf seems to be recovered enough to run again - obviously the decision to only wear flat shoes in this freezing weather has done the trick for my mobility.

However, I seem to have discovered a new winter affliction - night blindness. I set off for an evening run last night and was going quite nicely, all muscles in full working order, despite the freezing cold. As I headed into the final 1.5 miles of my run, up a badly lit hill, I tripped over a raised paving stone and went hard down onto the ground.

Unfortunately, this paving stone was a few yards away from a bus stop, so I had a full audience for the fall. Not satisfied with attentions of this captive audience, I made sure I drew full attention to myself from anyone else nearby by wailing 'Ow' really loudly as I broke my fall with my left arm and shoulder. What a wuss!

I tried to minimise my shame by getting straight up and continuing uphill away from the spectators, relieved that I hadn't hurt my foot or pulled a muscle. My right knee, elbow and hip were pretty vocal about their lack of approval for my new running gait (sideways on the ground, shouting 'ow' - you should try it, Ms Radcliffe) and the right side of my ribcage was a bit sore, but I was convinced the only major damage was to my pride.

I ran home as fast as I could, in order to avoid being passed by the bus full of people who had witnessed my ineptitude, pointing and laughing from the window. Buoyed by just a couple of scrapes to knee and elbow, I vowed to eat more carrots and laugh it off. Then I got in the shower, tried to lift my right arm and felt the real agony of the fall.

I've obviously elbowed myself right in the ribcage as I've fallen, shouldercharging the pavement and pushing my arm into my side. As a result, all lifting and movement is agony, and getting up off the sofa is done in a style that would earn me the scorn of arthritic pensioners across the globe.

Let's face it, this winter training is rubbish - how people train for the London marathon in the dark and the cold is beyond me. They have my utmost respect.

In the meantime, I'm pricing up headlamps. If I'm going to look stupid, I might as well be able to see while I'm at it.

LON

No comments:

Post a Comment